Come to Summit County and celebrate Independence Day while taking in some of the nation’s most beautiful sites. Surely when “purple mountain majesties” was written in 1913 it was referencing our very own majestic Rockies. Between the views and the weather, Summit County is the place to be in July.
And speaking of where you should be, we’ve got all the details on where to see firework displays and local celebrations. We even figured out the best complexes and vacation rentals for those want to be close to all the festivities. But, you’ve got to book early if you want to to be sure to get your spot…
DATE: Monday, July 3rd
- Keystone’s festivities begin Friday, June 30th and last through Tuesday, July 4th. They include a wide variety of activities for both children and adults. The Independence Day celebration takes place on Monday, with events going on all day.
- Noon-6 p.m.: Join in the fun with Kidtopia! Petting Zoo, Pony Rides, Face painting, Caricature Artists, Balloon Animals. (Decatur Field and Playground at Lakeside Village)
- Noon-9:30 p.m: Enjoy Keystone’s Independence Day Celebration at Lakeside Village, with an outdoor BBQ and bar from the Adventure Center and Edgewater Café. Head out on the water with a SUP or paddleboat and take a few laps around the lake, and rent a bike to explore the recreation path along the river. (Lakeside Village)
- 4-5 p.m.: Go Fly a Kite! Interactive kite building and decorating workshop for all ages. Step-by-step tutorials, kite supplies, and the opportunity to head to the field and see the kite take flight. (Lakeside Village Gazebo)
- 8-10 p.m.: VIP Party in Lakeside Suite. Celebrate in style in our VIP Lounge located in Lakeside Suite at the Keystone Lodge and Spa. Enjoy prime viewing for fireworks with floor-to-ceiling windows, a Chef-carved whole roasted suckling pig & gourmet hot dog station. For reservations and information, call 800-354-4386.
- 9:30 p.m.: Fireworks! (Lakeside Village)
DATE: Tuesday, July 4th
- 7-11 a.m.: Team Summit Pancake Breakfast (Old Community Center at 110 3rd Avenue)
- 9-11 a.m.: Kids Fishing Derby is a free event open to children ages 15 and younger. Must bring your own rod, bait and flies. (Meadow Creek Park)
- 10-11 a.m.: Free Concert (Frisco Historic Park Gazebo)
- 12:30 p.m.: Fabulous Fourth of July Parade on Main Street. Begins with a flyover by the United States Airforce and includes a marching band. Children are also invited to participate by bringing their decorated bikes to follow the parade down Main Street.
- 1:30-3:30 p.m.: Free Concert (Main Street in front of Historic Park)
- 3:30-5 p.m.: Interactive Drum Circle with Peak Rhythm at Main Street and 3rd Avenue
- 7:15-9:15 p.m.: Free Concert (Frisco Bay Marina)
- 9:30 p.m.: Fireworks over the Dillon Reservoir (best viewing at the Frisco Bay Marina)
DATE: Tuesday, July 4th
- 7 a.m.: Independence Day 10K Trail Run (registration required)
- 9:30 a.m.: The Firecracker 50 Mountain Bike Race (registration required)
- 9 a.m.: Fourth of July Garden Party at the Barney Ford House Museum; watch the parade while enjoying coffee, mimosas and a breakfast spread (cost is $50 for adults ($75 day of) and $10-$30 for children; call 970.453.9767 ext. 2)
- 9:30 a.m.: Main Street Parade begins with the Color Guard and ends with the reading of the Declaration of Independence at the Blue River Plaza
- Noon-3 p.m.: Viper Car Show & Shine on Main Street
- 12:30-2:30 p.m.: Try out your skills and come join the Drum Circle. Fun for the whole family.
- 1-3 p.m.: Kids’ Water Fight with the Red, White and Blue Fire Department
- 1-3 p.m.: Free Pony Rides! (Blue River Plaza)
- 2 p.m.: Free Concert at the River Walk Center
- 8 p.m.: 4th of July Patriotic Concert with the National Repertory Orchestra at the River Walk Center
- Fireworks at 9:45 p.m. (shot from the Gondola Lot and will be visible from all over Breckenridge)
Fourth of July Lodging
You can’t beat this location for the 4th of July! Step outside and you’re standing next to Keystone Lake. Nightly rates start at just $99.
River Run Village
With village views you can take in the parade from the comfort of your own private balcony! Or just walk downstairs and grab a spot along the parade route. Nightly rates start at just $79. (pictured: Buffalo Lodge #8375)
We offer lodging in the Mountain House Base Area, a quiet location that’s a short walk or bike ride from Keystone Lake, as well as Dillon and near Breckenridge. At this time those vacation rentals are all booked.